FAQs About our New Winter Snowsports Schedule
For the 2019-2020 season, we are going to try out a new schedule that creates three, two-hour lesson sessions per day at Alpine Meadows.
What does this look like?
- The 3 lessons offered at Alpine Meadows will be: 9:00 am-11:00 am, 11:45 am -1:45pm, and 2:00 pm -4:00 pm.
Why are you making this change? Well, I am glad that you asked!
- We’ve had an increasing number of participants over the years ask us to find a way to offer more lessons.
- This change will increase the number of lessons we a can offer significantly and reduce our wait list.
- As traffic and demand in the North Lake Tahoe area has increased, we want to offer more opportunities for all of our participants to get out on snow. By utilizing the full time that the lifts are operating, we are increasing the number of available lessons during the season by 50%.
- For many people, you have to arrive at Alpine Meadows early in order to beat traffic and find parking. We want to optimize your time and be able to get participants out on snow right when the lifts open!
Can I still sign up for a full day lesson at Alpine Meadows?
- Yes! All you have to do is select the 9am – 4pm session.
Will I have the same instructor for the full day?
- Yes, the lead instructor will be the same for your entire day. We will of course make necessary changes at your request when possible, or necessary, for your skill level or the skill level of the instructor.
Will there still be waitlists?
- Our hope is to drastically decrease waitlists by offering more opportunities for lessons. During the busiest times of year, such as the holiday breaks and Ski Week, we still recommend making your reservations early in order to guarantee your spot!
What about sit-skiers? The fitting typically takes 30 minutes. Will I have enough time to ski?
- For sit-ski lessons, we recommend signing up for 2 sessions to optimize your time to ensure the proper fit and maximize skiing time.
What about lessons at Squaw Valley, Northstar and Sugar Bowl?
- There will still be full day lessons at Squaw Valley, Northstar, and Sugar Bowl, and the time will be 9:00 am- 4:00 pm. There will be a 45 minute lunch break plus a 15 minute break in the afternoon.
Why are the rates at Squaw Valley, Northstar and Sugar Bowl higher than at Alpine Meadows?
- Achieve Tahoe incurs additional costs when providing a lesson away from our program center at Squaw Valley, Northstar, and/or Sugar Bowl. These costs include the following:
- Staff time to coordinate with the instructor who is traveling to one of these locations. This includes sharing important information about the participant, transporting necessary adaptive equipment and uniforms, and arranging lift tickets.
- Investing in growing the programs at these locations, including training, outreach, and purchasing additional adaptive equipment.
- The rate at Northstar and Sugar Bowl is higher than Squaw Valley because it includes equipment rental.
Is this going to work?
- We are confident that this is going to help us to improve our service overall and create more opportunities for our participants to get out on the hill.
My other question(s) is/are ………
- We are happy to answer any questions, comments and/or concerns you may have, so please reach out to us at 530-581-4161 x 6. We will make an effort to help you figure out the best way to make this schedule work for you.
I still have questions and don’t know what to book.
- Give us a call at 530-581-4161 x6! We are more than happy to walk everyone through this new schedule and find the right schedule for you or your loved one.