VOLUNTEERS SHARE THEIR PASSION TO ACHIEVE
Help us open the door to a world of possibilities. Experience the thrill that comes from spending time improving the quality of life for people with disabilities. Each year, over 250 volunteers generously donate approximately 9,000 hours of their time, energy and expertise to ensure that our programs run smoothly and safely.
How To Apply
- Applications are accepted year-round, however there are some deadlines based on program needs and training dates.
- Read the information about volunteering below.
- Complete a volunteer profile on this website.
- An Achieve Tahoe staff member will contact you once your profile has been completed.
All volunteers must:
- Complete a volunteer profile.
- Be 16 years old or older,
- Have reliable transportation to and from program and event venues,
- Have the personal equipment needed in some program areas (e.g. skis, helmets) and, in some cases, a minimum proficiency in the sport,
- Complete all required training and fulfill a commitment to a minimum number of hours or days of service (varies by activity),
- For some programs, pay a nominal administrative and training fee once selected to volunteer,
- Complete an Insurance Waiver and Release of Liability form once selected to volunteer,
- Pass a Criminal Background Check once selected to volunteer.
Winter Adaptive Snowsports Instructor
Instructors provide specialized adaptive instruction for people with disabilities. They work on a personal level to help students successfully learn to ski or snowboard. Candidates must be intermediate skiers or higher, must be comfortable working with people with diverse backgrounds, and must be physically fit and able to lift a student multiple times during the course of a lesson. Professional ski instruction experience is preferred but not required. Achieve Tahoe provides free training and support. Instructors are asked to commit a minimum of 8 days over the snowsports season, running from early-December to late April. Applications accepted until late November. For more details about the volunteer committment, follow thislink. Contact Camille Cauchois, Program Manager, at 530-481-4161 x5; camille at achievetahoe.org.
Summer Sports Volunteer
Our summer programs include water skiing in the Sacramento Valley and flat water kayaking, canoeing and stand up paddleboarding at Donner Lake and Lake Tahoe. A typical day lasts six to eight hours, and you may be in and out of the water all day. Summer program volunteers are required to volunteer at least 3 days and attend required training. Applications accepted until late June. Contact Camille Cauchois, Program Manager, at 530-481-4161 x5; camille at achievetahoe.org.
Fundraising and Leadership
Individual donors are critical to our success. Become a donor and help us acquire new donors via your networks. Achieve Tahoe is always looking for motivated and dedicated members of the community to join our Board of Directors. Applications accepted year-round. Contact Haakon Lang-Ree, Executive Director at 530-581-4161 x1; haakon at achievetahoe.org.
Special events are a vital source of funding and support, as well as a great way to get the word out about our programs. Volunteers staff committees and events, help secure silent auction prizes, solicit sponsors, help decorate, hang banners, distribute flyers, prepare food, sell event and raffle tickets and help with event setup and breakdown. Applications accepted year-round. Contact Camille Cauchois, Program Manager at 530-581-4161 x5; camille at achievetahoe.org.
Equipment Maintenance and Repair (Winter and Summer)
Clean, maintain and repair our large inventory of adaptive equipment. Applications accepted year-round. Contact Michael Hunter, Program Director, at 530-481-4161 x4; michael at achievetahoe.org.
We accept applications for our winter internship in late summer/early fall, and encourage anyone with a focus (academic or otherwise) in recreation therapy, recreation management, adaptive physical education, outdoor leadership, health sciences, or other related fields to apply. We are seeking committed, highly motivated, hardworking, flexible, self-starters to fulfill our internship positions. Our friendly and dedicated staff is eager to work with the next generation of adaptive recreation professionals.
CLICK HERE for more information. Contact Camille Cauchois, Program Manager, at 530-481-4161 x5; camille at achievetahoe.org.